week # 7 Animated gifs
NOTE: Gif is pronounced with a hard 'g'. Think 'gift' without the 't'. Steve Wilhite of CompuServe, the inventor of the GIF says it should be a soft G but he is, in a word, wrong. GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format, not Jraphics Interchange Format. Mr. Wilhite is a brilliant computer scientist who likes JIF peanut butter (no lie), but he is NOT a linguist.
John Simpson, Chief Editor of the Oxford English Dictionary says, "... the pronunciation with a hard g is now very widespread and readily understood. A coiner effectively loses control of a word once it’s out there ...”
(Although technically the OED accepts both definitions at this point because they are gutless cowards)
The Ways of Seeing was a hugely influencial BBC show and book about how to view and think about images. It first aired in 1972.
Daniel Temkin, Rollin Leonard, Sara Ludy, Rhett Jones, Jaakko Pallasvuo, Dafna Ganani, Jennifer Chan, Rea McNamara, Theodore Darst, Matthew Williamson, Hector Llanquin, Christina Entcheva, V5MT, Marisa Olson, Joe McKay, Carla Gannis, Nicholas O'Brien, Eva Papamargariti, Rosa Menkman, Kristin Lucas, Jeremy Bailey & Kristen D. Schaffer, Giselle Zatonyl, Paul Wong, Alfredo Salazar-Caro, Sally McKay, RM Vaughan & Keith Cole & Jared Mitchell, Andrew Benson, Christian Petersen, Faith Holland, Jennifer McMackon, Kevin Heckart, Geraldine Juárez, Gaby Cepeda, Angela Washko, Emilie Gervais, LaTurbo Avedon, Lyla Rye, Mattie Hillock, Antonio Roberts, Georges Jacotey, Daniel Rourke, Sandra Rechico & Annie Onyi Cheung, Yoshi Sodeoka, Alma Alloro, LoVid, Andrea Crespo, Ad Minoliti, Arjun Ram Srivatsa, Carrie Gates, Isabella Streffen, Esteban Ottaso, Silke Zil Kuhar ZIL & ZOY, Hyo Myoung Kim, Jesse Darling, Tristan Stevens, Erica Lapadat-Janzen, Claudia Hart, Anthony Antonellis, Carine Santi-Weil, Nicolas Sassoon, Tom Sherman, Kim Asendorf & Ole Fach, Rafaela Kino, Alex McLeod, Kate Wilson & Lynne Slater, Aleksandra Domanović, Systaime, Erik Zepka, Adam Ferriss, Rodell Warner & Arnaldo James, Debora Delmar Corp., Brenna Murphy, Nick Briz, Carlos Sáez, Jenn E Norton, Juliette Bonneviot, Luis Nava, Vince McKelvie, Claudia Maté, Evan Roth, Shana Moulton, Sabrina Ratté, Jordan Tannahill, Vasily Zaitsev feat. MON3Y.us, Ann Hirsch. Mert Keskin a.k.a Haydiroket, A. Bill Miller, Alix Desaubiaux, Krystal South, Rachael Archibald, Will Pappenheimer, Dave Greber, Chiara Passa, John Boyle-Singfield, Gunilla Josephson, Melanie Clemmons, Curt Cloninger, Terrell Davis, Morehshin Allahyari, Amy Lockhart, John Marriott, Lilly Handley, Emily Vey Duke, Kate Armstrong, Myfanwy Ashmore, Luke Painter, Aram Bartholl, Elena Garnelo, Lorna Mills, Ellectra Radikal, Nicole Killian, Jacob Chiocci, and Rick Silva
all your Base
Mike's Digital Pog Page
While we slept by MICHAEL BELL-SMITH (not a gif but low rez and really nice.)
ArtFcity Gif of the Day
- Open Photoshop and create a new image 300 x 300 dpi with a transparent background.
- Use the brush tool to draw a vertical line (12 o'clock)
- TIP - if you make a dot on one end then shift-click on the other end the computer will fill in the straight line.
- Go Layer - New - Layer to create a new blank layer. (or command-shift-n)
- Draw another line at 10 minutes past the hour.
- Repeat these steps until you have gone around the circle. Each line should be on it's own separate layer.
- Go under Window and open the Animation pallet.
- click on the menu icon on the animation pallet (see orange arrow on right) and select "Make Frames From Layers".
- click on the play button and behold!
- experiment with changing the timing of the animation. You can adjust each frame individually or select them all and change the whole group.
- To save your gif go under File to "Save for Web and Devices". Select the number of colours and transparency and save.
- You can play your animation in any browser window
Download a movie from youtube OR use your own video. Do yourself a favor and keep it short.
You can use a video for creating an animated gif or quicktime, you can make each frame of animation a layer, then draw on the frame or use it as a guide for your own drawing. Note that this should only be done with really SHORT videos, especially if you plan to make a gif. You can use the animation pallet to trim your clip, or use quicktime to shorten the video before importing it.
From the animation pallet menu chose: Make frames from layers.
You can even import an animated gif into photoshop and each frame of the gif will open in it's own layer. From there you can edit and remix the gif.