Flash ActionScript 3.0 game programs & tutorials
- Coin Toss
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for basic coin toss (if statement,button, random, text fields) with comments on changes from ActionScript 2.0
Notes/Tutorial on Creating a Document Class .as file
- Rock, Paper, Scissors
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for rock, paper, scissors.
Source (fla) file for partial implementation of Rock, Paper, Scissors in ActionScript 3.0 (cel animation, buttons, game logic)
- Going to a URL (such as a HTML page) from Flash
Going to relative and absolute addresses
Going to relative and absolute addresses, new window and other options>
Notes/Tutorial on use of navigateToURL, URLRequest object
- Run, Bo, Run , Run, Bo, Run (source .fla file)
Chasing Bo (Mouse Over event causes Bo to change direction, CLICK stops Bo), Chasing Bo source
Catching Bo and sending email (Mouse_Over event, Date(), email), Catching Bo source.
Brief notes on combining cel and computed animation and sending email from a Flash application (using php).
- Bo, horizontal motion, obstacles Source for Bo, horizontal motion, obstacles
See also below under Sound.
- James Marr, who owns a bar in Spain, asked for my help in developing the Spoof game. His version is much cuter than mine: Themonkeynuts.com Spoof game.
Spoof: a guessing game played in pubs, ActionScript 3.0 Tutorial for Spoof: radiobuttons, random, Flash source for spoof game.
- Bouncing Ball
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for simulation of a bouncing ball (Timer, hitTestPoint for collisions, input text field)
Bouncing Ball: balls created by mouse events, random colors
Bouncing things: balls, rectangles, stars created; random colors and rotation; objects stop & can be swept away
Tutorial (Timer events, classes, inheritance, linkage, colorTransform, hitTestObject, removeChild)
- Cannon ball (ballistics)
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for cannonball (Timer, hitTestPoint for collisions, Math class methods, cel animation and computed animation
- Simple examples (commented Flash source) for mouse events
Flash source: slide show.. NOTE: see also Templates in Flash.
Flash source: simple drag and drop: addEventListener, MOUSE_DOWN, MOUSE_UP
Flash source: drag and drop area: move remote object: addEventListener, MOUSE_DOWN, MOUSE_OUT, MOUSE_UP
Flash source: set of buttons, moving remote object: addEventListener, MOUSE_DOWN, MOUSE_OUT, CLICK, MOUSE_UP
Flash source: set of buttons, moving remote object only horizontally (x): addEventListener: MOUSE_OVER, CLICK, MOUSE_MOVE
- Using Slider and Button components; one function to handle multiple events
- Capturing keyboard key presses
- Skiing down a slope: Timer, keyboard key presses, dynamic creation of gates, hitTestObject, addChild, display list
- General notes on locating the .as files on PCs and MACs (used in the jigsaw, shooter, and other applications)
- Lizard Jigsaw with build, mixup and check buttons
Lizard Jigsaw with automatic checking
Lizard Jigsaw with idler/attractor
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for jigsaw (class, static class methods, pieces as objects of the Piece class, external .as file, KeyBoard, Mouse and Timer events, composition of objects).
- Menu program: loading external Flash movies. Tutorial/Notes on how to load another Flash movie.
- Presidential preference survey
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 to php for survey (radio buttons, URLRequest, URLLoader, php, flat file)
Show vote totals
- Coffee store order: radio button, radio button group, combo box, text field, sharedObject
Source code: creating radio buttons, combo box, sharedObject
Tutorial on Flash cookies (aka SharedObjects), radio buttons, combo, text field.
- Presidential ballot: results stored on client computer
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0. radio buttons, SharedObject (cookie), text field
Shooter, base shooting game, arrow keys, can build on to make your own
Improved Shooter: automatic focus, health bar
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for shooter (multiple classes, keyboard, multiple timer events, collisions, hitTestObject, arrays, dynamic creation of text, text formatting, focus)
- Memory / Concentration game
Tutorial for ActionScript 3.0 for memory / concentration game (class, class variables and object variables, linkage, simple shuffle, using addChild to display created objects and associate objects)
- Sound in a frame (Bo barks), Flash source
- Simple playing of external sound file using ActionScript: Sound, URLRequest
- Play and pause external sound files (at random) using Sound, URLRequest and SoundChannel
- Play and pause external sound files, change volume and pan, using Sound, URLRequest, SoundChannel, SoundTransform
- Play, pause, sound, pan PLUS ability for user to download mp3 file
- Tutorial / notes on sound in a frame and Sound, URLRequest, Sound Channel, SoundTransform
- Set game
- Interfaces for playing video clips based on information in a database:
- Using a calculation based on camera input to determine which video to play
- Loading at runtime: image jpg files and xml files
- Loading at runtime: XML file, parsing XML, and loading other files, ComboBox, RadioButton, RadioButton Group
- Demonstration using simple XML files
- Tutorial/notes on URLLoading, URLRequest, error handling, Radio buttons
- Demonstration using XML files with attributes, child nodes not all the same. Available xml files are albumplus.xml, obamapicsplus.xml, obamapicserror.xml. For this last one, you will need to view the source, since by design, it is not well-formed xml.
- Tutorial/notes on TextInput, attribute and hasOwnProperty methods, TextFormat
- State (country) capital game
- Pattern / logic game
- Simulation of infectious disease (similar to old game of Life)
- Find places (geography, map) game
- Adding instances to the Stage using ActionScript; printing (start of a game involving player drawing)
- Demonstration of 3D motion: 2 moons (ellipses) revolving around a hub (rectangle)
- Very simple kinematics (not using Flash bone feature)
Back to Jeanine Meyer's Academic Activities page